Service Above Self:
History of the Las Cruces Rotary Club

This history is from a pamphlet commissioned by the Rotary Club of Las Cruces in 1989.  It was written by Jennifer L. Holberg, who was an NMSU undergraduate at the time. 

Acknowledgments  Introduction: Rotary  The Early Years  The War Years
  The Post-War Period   The 1950's  The 1960's  The 1970's and 1980's 
Food, Fun, and Fellowship  Charter Members  Presidents

The 1960s

<previous

40th Anniversary Speaker Leo ValdesThe 1960s built upon the growth of the previous decade.  The semi-annual report of January 1960 reported membership at 80, and by July 1968, membership would top the one hundred mark with 102 members.  This increased membership would lead to increased activity.  The decade began with the club acting as host in 1960 to the district conference for the first time since 1925.  That same year the club continued its support of youth by providing four scholarships to New Mexico A&M and $75 to a Miss Rubio to help her with her nursing studies at Hotel Dieu, as well as sponsoring Air Squadron 199, an Explorer Scout troop.  Two popular programs were expanded:  the crippled children were treated to a movie at the Rio Grande Theatre after their Christmas dinner, and food baskets were distributed to the elderly The Four Troubadors at the 40th Anniversaryas well as the needy. 

According to surviving records, 1964-67 were especially active years.  During 1964, the club celebrated its fortieth anniversary.  During these years, it donated to the library of the Boys Club; provided an electric bone saw to Memorial General Hospital in lieu of giving gifts to their wives on Ladies Night; gave $1000 to Goodwill Industries; supported NMSU’s “Hands Across the Border” with $250; participated in the Milk for India drive; held a boy scout dinner; supplied needy children with shoes; volunteered with the Senior Citizen Hospitality House; and continued with many of the programs stared in the 1950s.  As important as community service was, the Rotary Club of Las Cruces also took time to promote international good will and understanding.  In April and May 1967, the club hosted seven young Australians participating in a group exchange. 

1967 Australia GSE Teamnext>